October 25, 2014

Word: A cop on domestic violence

Bangor ME Police Dept Facebook page - After many arrests, while walking a [domestic violence] suspect to the car, I would say 80 percent of them, usually men, will yell back and say something like, "honey, baby, look what you did" or "you're not serious, are you going to let them take me to jail"? Another gem is when they holler back to a victim, "come bail me out, I love you". If you could feel that manipulation even one time as an officer or bystander, you would be donating to this cause right now. It causes my blood to boil and cops hear that every day. Think about the angst that this causes a victim/survivor. Already physically and emotionally injured. Worrying about their children, how to pay the bills, fearing for their safety,,, These are not words on a page. These are people like you in horrible situations. Keep it in mind this month. Keep it in mind all year. Have a pleasant Tuesday folks.

No comments: